We are currently in a rare cold front down here in South Florida that seems to be sticking around for more than 24 hours and I couldn’t be happier! All I want to do is curl up under a blanket and eat warm, comforting foods like turkey chili, mushroom risotto or grilled cheese sandwiches. Since chili never goes over well in our house due to my husband’s strict aversion to anything with beans in it and risotto requires endless stirring over the stove, we typically end up with grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. It can be on the table and in our bellies in about 10 minutes flat, but is still full of comfort and most importantly, flavor! A theme I’m constantly looking to implement more of into our home.
We first made this magnificent sandwich about a year and a half ago on our 3-year anniversary trip to Asheville. Using a mixture of creamy feta and ooey-gooey sharp cheddar cheese, this is (in my opinion) the perfect grilled cheese. It’s hardly even a recipe, but is most definitely worth sharing!
The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Cooking spray
- White sharp cheddar
- Feta cheese
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Assemble your sandwich with the buttered sides of the bread on the outside – I like to use about 2/3 cheddar to 1/3 feta.
- Place sandwich on skillet for about 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned and cheese is beginning to melt. Flip sandwich over and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until cheese is fully melted.
- Slice in half and enjoy (preferably with a bowl of your favorite soup).
What’s your favorite cold weather / comfort food? Let me know in the comments below!
Don’t forget to subscribe to Stacey’s Stir by entering your email address in the right-hand column of the home page and then clicking “Follow Stacey’s Stir”. Subscribers receive email notifications any time a new post is published.