During the first year of our marriage, I discovered that the quickest way to Patrick’s heart was through food, specifically any variety of Mexican food that comes topped with guacamole. Before we were married his typical diet consisted of an Uncrustables® peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch followed by a Moe’s burrito for dinner.
Luckily for me, he was incredibly impressed by any meal that was remotely homemade! He truly is one of the most encouraging people I’ve ever known and will lovingly eat whatever I put in front of him – including pumpkin white bean chili and a vegetarian cauliflower casserole. Did I mention he hates beans and adores meat?
The first time I made taquitos for Patrick, I knew I had hit on something special. It was love at first taste. They are hands down his favorite, most requested meal and have since ended up on our table, like clock work, every couple of weeks. He loves them because they pair perfectly with guacamole and Greek yogurt. I love them because they’re a much healthier alternative to the traditional fried taquitos.
Baked Chicken Taquitos are my go-to meal for just about anyone, including picky eaters and children. I serve them alongside bowls of guacamole, salsa, and plain Greek yogurt so that everyone can fix them exactly how they like. You can easily throw in some extra ingredients to the mix based on your preferences – poblano or jalapeno peppers to add heat or maybe a handful of spinach to get a little extra greenery in your diet.
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe’s), or regular lime juice works great too!
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded (usually about 2 breasts)
- corn tortillas
- coconut oil or olive oil spray
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, salsa verde, lime juice, and all spices.
- Add in the fresh cilantro, chives, and shredded monterey jack cheese. Stir to combine.
- Finally, mix in your cooked, shredded chicken until combined.
- Wrap 3-4 corn tortillas at a time in a wet paper towel. Place in the microwave for 20-25 seconds to soften tortillas up. This helps them not tear when you roll them up.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons full of mixture onto one end of the tortilla. Roll tortilla up tightly. You may want to use a toothpick here to keep the tortilla rolled.
- Place taquitos on a nonstick baking pan, seam-side down. Spread out just enough so that they don’t touch one another.
- Lightly spray the tops of the taquitos with coconut oil spray (or any cooking spray of your choice).
- Bake for 15 minutes, until crisp.
- Serve with any toppings of your choice.
**This mixture will make quite a few taquitos. They are best when freshly baked, so I prefer to assemble and cook only as many as we’re going to eat in one sitting, and refrigerate the rest of the mixture. The taquito mixture will last for about 2-3 days in the refrigerator.
What is YOUR favorite combination of toppings for taquitos and tacos? Let me know in the comments below.
4 thoughts on “Baked Chicken Taquitos”
These are a favorite of my entire household! We like to top ours with fresh tomatoes and plain Greek yogurt. I like to use the Greek yogurt in place of sour cream!
Yum! Fresh tomatoes sounds great.. perfect addition!