Happy March, friends! In our home, this month signifies the end of a long stretch of holidays, celebrations and consistent indulgence. It begins with our anniversary at the end of October, quickly followed by Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year and then ends with our birthdays in January and February.
A couple of days ago, we realized that for the first time in at least a month, we didn’t have any cake or cookies in our house! And I think that’s okay. It’s important to indulge in life and celebrate the special occasions. But, it’s also nice to slow down, stay in for dinner more than we go out, and fill our bodies with foods that nourish.
So, on those days when your body just cannot handle another slice of pizza or scoop of gelato, try this filling, yet healthy Farro & Arugula salad. Pair it with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc and eat outside by candlelight. You’ll be treating your body well, but still making the night feel special. It really is all about balance!
And, let’s be honest. Isn’t every day we wake up with breath in our lungs another day to celebrate? I love what Shauna Niequist says about living a life of celebration. In her daily devotional, Savor, she says “It’s much easier and much more common to be miserable. We could just live our normal, day-to-day lives, saving all the good living up for someday, but I think it’s our job to live each day like it’s a special occasion, because we’ve been given a gift. We get to live in this beautiful world.”
So, here’s to treating our bodies well, choosing joy, and making every day feel like a celebration!
Farro & Arugula Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup farro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups water
- 4 ounce package arugula
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 3 ounces feta, crumbled
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once heated, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, along with the shallot into the pan. Stir often and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the shallot has softened.
- Add the farro into the shallot mixture, stirring often for about 4 minutes, until toasted.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add in the salt, pepper, oregano, and water. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook until farro is tender – 25 minutes (or according to the cooking instructions on your package of farro).
- Drain any remaining liquid from the pan. Set aside.
- Assemble your salad in a large bowl. Add the arugula. Top with almonds, cucumber and feta.
- Add in the warm farro along with a vinaigrette of your choice. Toss gently to combine.
You can subscribe to Stacey’s Stir by entering your email address in the right-hand column of the home page and then clicking “Follow Stacey’s Stir”. Subscribers receive email notifications any time a new post is published.