Let’s talk about mashed cauliflower. Recipes have been circulating around for a while now about this dish, praising it as the “low carb, low calorie alternative” to potatoes. The “healthy version” of comfort food. It’s even been referred to as “mock” mashed potatoes! While, yes, it could technically be any of those things, it’s also just really, dang good on its own and shouldn’t always be compared to it’s starchy friend, the potato.
When Patrick and I first got married, finding vegetables and side dishes that we both enjoyed was a struggle. Our list began and ended with broccoli. Over time we’ve added a few more staples to the list, like roasted sweet potatoes, farro, and now our favorite mashed cauliflower. It’s simple, healthy (healthier if you go light on the parmesan), filling, and absolutely delish!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons (finely shredded)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut up cauliflower into bite sized pieces and add to a large pot of boiling water.
- Boil for 12-14 minutes, until tender.
- Drain well so that the cauliflower is as dry as possible.
- Add the cauliflower to a food processor, blend until smooth.
- Spoon the cauliflower puree into a medium mixing bowl. Add in the greek yogurt, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Stacey’s Stir by entering your email address in the right-hand column of the home page and then clicking “Follow Stacey’s Stir”. Subscribers receive email notifications any time a new post is published.