Great news, you guys! I have finally uncovered the secret to a man’s heart. It’s a method that works especially well when you really need for him to agree to something he may otherwise not. For example – buying a puppy. Whatever your problem is, the solution is roasted brussel sprouts served with lemon yogurt sauce. I would also recommend throwing a little bourbon into the mix.. it can only help your cause!
Most of you know that I have been vying for a puppy/second dog for our little family for a while now. Two years to be exact. Patrick grew up with no pets, while I grew up practically living in a small zoo complete with multiple cats and dogs, a rabbit, fish, a frog, and a horse. To me, two dogs is a nonissue. But for Patrick, it’s a very critical turning point in his life. After months of debate, we have finally, FINALLY come to a compromise. And it all happened over a plate of these mystical sprouts.
Wouldn’t it be nice if we really did have a magical meal to feed people when we wanted them to agree with us? I’ll keep working on it! But, in all seriousness, meals like this leave me feeling very thankful for the important conversations that take place around the table, and secondly, for a really good man that loves me enough to sacrifice his own comfort for my desires. SO… in about 5 weeks we will be adding a new canine to our family!! And I agreed to let Patrick name him, since he somehow doesn’t think names like “Doodle” are masculine enough. Compromise!
Now, my next challenge is getting Doodle to agree to a sibling. I’m a little nervous that brussel sprouts won’t work as well on him!
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts (halved / quartered for the larger ones)
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a rimmed baking sheet, toss the sprouts with the olive oil and season with the salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Roast 25-30 minutes until browned and tender, tossing halfway through.
Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Serve alongside the brussel sprouts.
Don’t forget to subscribe to Stacey’s Stir by entering your email address in the right-hand column of the home page and then clicking “Follow Stacey’s Stir”. Subscribers receive email notifications any time a new post is published.